Jonathan Foote received a land grant of 1200 acres and moved to Massachusetts
from Connecticut in 1772. He built a log cabin near
the present house, which was constructed in 1778. The house,
of post and beam construction, retains many of its original
eighteenth century features including wide plank floors, twelve
over twelve paned windows, antique hardware four
fireplaces including a colonial era hearth over 7 feet long and original beehive oven.
||Jonathan and three of his sons, Asahel, Fenner and
David fought in several campaigns of the Revolutionary
War. Asahel was present at the laying of the great chain
across the Hudson to stop the British from sailing upriver, and was then
reviewed by George Washington. He later inherited the
house from Jonathan.
The Inn's history is rich and varied, having been the site for religious meetings until the First Congregational Church was built in 1780, as well as a stagecoach stop along the old Post Road, a tavern and a working dairy farm . It was occupied by the militia
during Shay's Rebellion, when a minor altercation took place on the property and it has operated as
an Inn at various times over its history, being known as Foote's Hearth during the early 20th century.
For history buffs, the local cemetery where the Foote family ancestors are buried is a short walk
from the Inn. The house stayed in the same family for over 200 years, until 1988, and descendants remain
in the area.